We read our article today on the two candidates chosen to run for President. The article mentioned that there are three political debates coming up, but most of us weren't sure what a debate really is, so we had one. We broke up into groups based on what we think is most important in life (I asked them to choose between clean water and food, education, or a family and a home.) Each group chose a representative. Once we had our representatives chosen each group discussed how best to argue their decision on what is most important in life. We heard one another's arguments, and then made counter arguments. I was incredibly impressed with some of the thoughtful and interesting arguments that were made today in class. I am so excited to have such a bunch of intelligent, thoughtful, passionate students who can appreciate and respect one each other's opinions. Having debates is one of my favorite learning activities in social studies, and I am glad to know that this class can gracefully handle listening to and disagreeing with one another in appropriate ways. I was especially impressed with our well spoken, cleverly chosen representatives.
In math we are working really hard on our mental math strategies. We are mentally adding two digit numbers at this point. If you have free time in the car or while you are cooking or eating, it would be excellent practice to ask them to add two digit numbers in their head. Asking your child what steps they took in their mind is great too because it forces them to think about their own thinking (metacognition), and the ability to explain your thinking is important to your ability to retain information and in this case do math efficiently in your head.
No comments:
Post a Comment